Monday, December 5, 2011

The quintessential college breakfast


It has been a long time since I visited Char Mar, Hopkins' overpriced market, and it has been even longer since I last ate breakfast. A sophomore friend, richly endowed with dining dollars, has graciously agreed to buy me a bagel. The time is about 9:52 a.m. We hurry to get there as it is rush hour; students done with their 9 a.m. class or late for their 10 a.m. one are all craving a delicious bagel right now. By the time we get there, the line is about 12 people long and I curse our luck at having to walk all the way from Bloomberg. 

            My friend tries to start a conversation with me. I pretend to care but my mind is filled with the thought of the appetizing bagel I shall soon be eating. She mentions something about how every other girl carries the same tote bag nowadays and points out two girls in line with identical totes. Preoccupied with rehearsing my order (a honey whole wheat bagel with jalapeno cream cheese) in my head, I assure her that her sense of fashion is impeccable. She realizes I am barely listening.

            It is finally my turn to order. The nice lady at the counter, Debbie, greets me with a smile. “What would you like this morning, honey?” The five minute wait before I get my bagel feels closer to fifteen. Ignoring my friend’s judgmental look, I bite into my bagel even before we reach the dining area. It is every bit as delicious as I had hoped. Finally satisfied, I turn to my friend with a cheeky smile. “So what was it you were saying about the totes?”

No comments:

Post a Comment